Wednesday, April 8, 2009

March BJP

This is the finished piece for March. March is when my favorite daffodils bloom. They have a great family history - either my paternal grandmother or maternal great grandmother (both Marion's, living on either side of the creek where I grew up) planted daffodils before a big flood, which swept some of them downstream. Now every March you can see huge patches of yellow daffodils along the creek - they have spread in many places! My mom dug some up, and has them planted in a few places around the house - she sent me some after I moved to WA, and I've taken them with me! The trumpet of the daffodil is all fringy. Back home, everyone who knows calls them Marion flowers.
The beads picked were gold bugles, yellow silver-lined and green AB 11's. I added 2 blue butterflies and a heart for the history. I used all the bugles and yellow beads, and needed more, so I also used up the gold beads that matched the bugles and another yellow. I used up 4 kinds of beads in this piece! Which is great, as it gives me a reason to buy more! If you look closely, you'll see the side edging is copper - it's a remnant of Ver's hair, that I wrapped around a bugle to make kinda beads, since I spent a lot of time that month finishing her! The middle of the flowers is Robin's wildflower stitch, with the outside a bugle ruffle.
I've also been working on some crocheted bracelets. The first one needed a clasp adjustment, since the magnetic clasps I got weren't strong enough. I've been preparing to make some for Christmas presents. They are a good thing to work on while I watch TV, since the beads are pre-strung and I don't have to count anything that late at night!


7 comments:

Robin said...

Wow! This is a fabulous daffodil story... makes me happy to think of the creek and now of you growing them and all from one of the Marions! How sweet! Your beaded daffodils are wonderful, lush and dimensional... yay! I especially like the addition of the blue heart and butterflies... I'd never have thought of adding that color blue, but it's perfect! Plus, it reminds me of sky. The copper edging is also quite fun... I'm glad you explained what it was from. Happy spring! Robin A.

KV said...

Wow, this is simply exquisite!


Kathy V in NM

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Joan, this is a neat piece. I love the inspirational story that it depicts. Its bead journaling at its best.

Marty S said...

Gorgeous daffodils! Great three-dimensionality. I looked quite a while at the enlarged photo to see the details. Wonderful!
Marty S
Crackpot Beader

feather said...

Love the flowers. It's really well done and so indicative of spring!! Nice job.

Julie said...

What a great tribut to one of my favorite flowers. Really pretty and I love the ruffles. Julie C

CC said...

I love the texture & depth of this piece! I had to see it enlarged & wanted to reach in & touch it! Wow! Great work!
Warmest aloha,
CC