Sunday, January 11, 2009

Soup Anyone?



My work space has been under construction lately. The wall behind my desk had to be opened to deal with some leaky pipes, so my stuff was put in the living room while the work was done. It's now back in place mostly - the desk is back but my stacking drawers are still MIA. Since the wall was under construction, and the window next to it needed re-doing (we are replacing all the inside casings and trim with real wood) both projects got started. Unfortunately, it hasn't been warm enough to stain the trim pieces, so we still need access to the window, which my desk usually sits right up against. In the midst of moving, this bead soup was created on my bead pad. I am not one for creating bead soup. I have my beads in little piles so that any extras can be scooped back into their containers. I hate the thought of sorting out soup - not enough patience/time. I also don't want to stash it away to never be used again - not enough money. This time, I know that all those beads (plus many,many more) will be used, so I don't mind the mixing. Actually, looking at it is pretty cool, and gives me some more ideas about using them (hence, I took a picture). It's got me thinking that maybe mixing soups isn't bad, leading to more creative results. But I still can't get over having to sort out leftovers! I've even considered buying other artist's soups to use for free-form peyote (something I really want to try). It's definitely a love-hate thing - I love the combinations, hate having to deal with left-overs. Anybody else have strong opinions about soup?


I've actually gotten a little beading done - I've crocheted straps for my other chipboard pendant, with just enough beads left to do a matching bracelet. I was having problems with the thread not being strong enough, so I doubled it. It didn't make the crocheting much harder, and I don't have any worries about it's strength. I'll post pictures when it's put together. I haven't put a bead on my January BJP, but it will definitely be about swirling water. Our area had a lot of creeks overflowing and mudslides last week - my girls only went to school 2 days because of it. This picture was in the newspaper - it's one end of my access to the highway into town. The other end had water in places as well. The snow clogged drainage ditches and diverted water in weird ways. It's back to normal now, so maybe I'll be able to post a finished BJP next week!

2 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

O brother, I used to be anal about keeping beads separated and sorted every little bead and put it back in the proper tube. No I am semi-anal. I put back all the little piles. But when I find a stray one or ten I missed, that rolled out of sight, it goes in a bead soup tube. I find that its easy to use them in a BJP page. O, I am still looking for that little bead that fell on the floor!

Timaree said...

Speaking of bead soups, beadnik is using her beadsoups that have collected from her various projects as her bead supply for her BJP pages. You can see one of her pages here.

I haven't actually used a bead soup yet but they look intriguing.