Sunday, December 28, 2008

Dec BJP



Finally got a picture of my finished Dec BJP! I think it looks pretty tree-ish. The side view is to show how the ruffles stick out. The left side of the ruffles are tacked down, but not the right. In order to have really curvy ruffles you either need to put lots of beads in between the posts or have a long line - short lines don't do much curving. I put the same number of beads in-between the posts in each row - you can see the bottom row is way more ruffly!


This is the pickings for January. I'm not sure about a subject yet - snow is what keeps coming to mind (It doesn't help that they are calling for more later in the week again!) but January is also about reflections on the past and looking to the future to me. I have a hummingbird feather that I'm fairly certain will make it into this one. I know I need to sit with myself a bit to find it's voice.






I put the crocheted pieces on my green man necklace - all it needs is a clasp. I was thinking magnetic, but it does have some weight so I think I'll put a toggle on it. I'm starting the straps for a silver and blueish piece I did at the same time, but am running into trouble. The thread I used isn't strong enough, and I've already strung the beads! It's ok doubled, and the beads fit, but I'm going to have a heck of a time with it, figuring out how to manage 2 strings. I've started doing a little bit as a Cellini spiral instead, but I'm not sure the 15's I'm using can take the string mass. I strung all the beads I had to make sure I'd have enough for both straps - it's quite the nice mess!
This is a teaser shot of the drawing I did to figure out what I was doing with my doll.
In general, I've been doing less beadwork than I could, but I'm not beating myself over that. I've not been sleeping well, and I'm hoping a check-up will have a simple remedy. I can't focus on beadwork when I'm tired. The girls have been enjoying the snow (which we've gotten more off, but now it's raining instead, until later in the week - more snow!) but until now it's been powder, not good for building much of anything. They've enjoyed helping Daddy shovel the driveway!
I really want to use some of my quiet moments this week to look at how far I've come artistically, and where I want to go, what I want it to mean in my life. The BJP has helped by making me have a concrete example of my beadwork throughout the year - how much will I have changed by the end of this one?

10 comments:

Cindy said...

Yes, it looks like a tree. It is a beautiful piece. I love the way you worked the tree.

a2susan said...

What a great tree! I love the dimensionality of it. I hope you had a great holiday.

Susan

Robin said...

Wow, Joan, there's much to respond to in this post!

First, I love your ruffle tree... it's fabulous and so are the colors! I also really like your green man necklace. What is the face made with?

Your January colors are very appealing... but they remind me of Hawaii or some exotic, rain forest place... Do you see any travels in your dreams?

The doll teaser shot has much movement to it... makes me think of dancing!

SNow? Please... no more snow! OK, your girls probably are enjoying it...

Take care and happy new year, Joan... may it bring many nights of good sleep and many hours of beading!

Robin A.

Julie said...

I just love this piece. The ruffles are so pretty, the colors appeal to me so much. Very festive and light. Julie C

Muriel said...

I like a lot your ruffles, thanks for the step to step and the side view :-)!

heidibeads said...

Love the tree - I would never have thought to use ruffles but it works so well. I'll have to try that sometime. Happy New year!

Dave Robertson said...

Wow, that tree of yours is really somethin'. What beautiful work! Just discovered your blog, and I'm looking forward to reading more... :)

--Dave
at Rings & Things

pam T said...

WOW! I absolutely love this stunning tree! Thanks for sharing!

Marty S said...

I love your tree! Using the ruffles was a great idea. Very effective.
Marty S
Crackpot Beader

Sabine said...

Lovely piece! It was a good idea to show a side view of the bugle-bead rows to illustrate their body.

Sabine