Sunday, June 14, 2009

Cool Quilts


Thursday I got to go to the La Conner Quilt Museum. This is not a "traditional" quilt place - the do have some, but the 2nd and 3rd floor has exhibits of art quilts - and these really qualify as art! I've linked their website to the title.

Karen Franzen's exhibit on the 3rd floor didn't allow pictures - her work is so unique! Layers of sheers, with different elements on different layers - it's a really neat concept that would adapt well to polymer clay. Unfortunately I don't have much time to play with that!

The pictures are from the 2nd floor (Sheila Groman)- there were crazy quilts, more traditional style quilts, and pictorial quilts. The hand quilting on these is fantastic! Her stitches are so tiny, I tried to take a picture with my thumb as comparison, but it didn't turn out well (trying to juggle too many things). It was great to have some unstructured time, and refresh my creative side.

No comments: