Thursday, February 4, 2010

January BJP

Woohoo, I'm still on schedule! This is still the first month, so that's a good thing! I have 2 months to finish from last year, so I'd prefer not to get behind from the get-go this year.


I have the incredible shrinking BJP pieces - they get smaller every year! First post-card sized, then half that size, now large buttons. In a way that's good, since I wasn't counting on doing this year when I planned how to mount the previous 2 years worth, and I just have room on the outside edges for the buttons!
So this is what I started with - a large wooden button (extra cheap Christmas clearance), a cardboard circle to put over the holes, a circle of felt to use as stabilizer under a larger circle of calico, and a squiggle scrap of felt for on top. My "theme" per se this year is to use up my bits and bobs that need a good home, and perhaps use some of those "I want this for me but I'm not sure how to use it" stuff. This is what I started with - the felt circle is basted on at the circumference of the button, so I know my main beading area.Here the beading is done, to slightly larger than the basted circle (now removed). I have stacked up the button, cardboard circle, and half a cotton ball.This is the back side. I trimmed the felt close to the stitches. I've turned under the edges of the circle and ran a gathering stitch around the edge. The calico edges were treated with Fraycheck, so they won't unravel while I'm beading.This is the finished button, top and side views. The side view is tilted a little, sorry.

This worked up lickety-split, I'm really looking forward to doing the rest!









11 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Hey Joan..thats a good idea. The button is beautiful. Thanks for the quick tut on how to make one too!!

Glad you decided to stay with the project. Your beading is always beautiful.

Carol

Crazy Mama said...

really pretty! and it was interesting to see the step-by-step too.

Anonymous said...

This is absolutely beautiful! I never would have known how you did this. It's no longer a button. Now it's a tiny beaded sculpture, and so very pretty! Do you have a plan for 12 of them in the end?

Marty S said...

It's beautiful! It's amazing how you can make a beautiful design in such a tiny space.
Marty S
Crackpot Beader

abeadlady said...

Nice work, Joan. I like the step by step pics as well for those of us who have not done buttons yet.

Magpie Sue said...

I wanted to thank you for the step by step process pictures too. And what a good idea to use beaded buttons to "save" favorite bits and bobs! Love it!

flyingbeader said...

Joan, what a fabulous idea! Love how it almost looks like a beautiful shell from the Sea.

dot

Robin said...

Lots of things to love about this little gem!!! It's very clever how you made this without using one of those Dritz button forms. I'm thinking that the softer feel of the top of the button would be pleasing. Then there's your wonderful sense of color and flow of design... Nice that you could still bring that forward in such a small piece! And congrats on figuring out how to stay on board!!! Robin A.

Miri Agassi said...

Really nice :)

Jody said...

I just love your button & can't wait to see the whole year of buttons.

Joan Cromley said...

Thanks for all your comments! I've been trying to take in-progress shots for most of my projects, having seen how much I learned from looking at Robin's pictures.

Barbara - My 1st year BJP is mounted on a large canvas, with space in the middle which is being filled with 2nd year BJP pieces. The button will fit in the corners of the canvas (I'll post pics as it gets filled in).