Sunday, November 9, 2008

November BJP done






November's BJP piece is done - it's supposed to look like swirling winds, which we have a lot of this time of year. We also have swirling water, as this is the start of flood season, with a flood watch having already happened. The colors picked were 2 kinds of red and pearl white. I stitched black felt strips on the ends, and did not follow those lines with the beading. It's hard to see, but the beading bulges in places from the felt underneath, adding another element.

I'm still learning to use my new camera - the first picture isn't focused well, but the detail shots of the top and bottom are! I'm considering taking pictures of some of my stuff for art print - my friend Sue (see website here) made me some cards with pictures of some of my BJP pieces from last year. It's definitely cheaper than buying the actual artwork that takes a really long time to make, and it's another way to get something for your work! I'd like to get a really good picture of my split salmon cuff to sell as a print.
I've gotten behind on my doll - life keeps getting in the way! I'm hoping in a few weeks things will calm down again so I can make better progress. I'm also working on neck straps to go with some pendants I've made. I received one of Carol Wilcox Well's books for my birthday, and it was hard deciding which technique I wanted to use! What I have ready to start is a crocheted rope using different size beads for a curve, and a more complicated patterned crochet is probably looming on the horizon!

8 comments:

Jacquie said...

That is very cool Joan. The white swirly bead in the center is an eye-catcher. Is it actually a bead?

Robin said...

Your red winds and water currents/swirls piece is looking really great, Joan!!! I wish I could see that added element of depth...

Just for the record, I've never had much luck selling either cards or fine art prints of my work. The only artist I know who is successful selling cards is Mimi Kirchner... She sells hers on etsy. However, having good pictures of beadwork is very satisfying!

Happy birthday belatedly... Hugs, Robin

Marty S said...

This is great! Because of the way you have put the beads together, it looks like more than just two colors of red with the white.
Marty S
Crackpot Beader

Tracey Leeder said...

I like it! You are correct, it is hard to see the added dimension the felt added. I really like the swirl bead. The colors you chose are very nice. Thats so cool. Nice work!

Sabine said...

A lovely page, one can exactly imagine the wind blowing in swirly gusts. I am curious to know what the white focal piece is.

Sabine

Joan Cromley said...

Thanks for the comments! The focal piece is from Fire Mountain, http://www.firemountaingems.com/details.asp?PN=H207589NB (hopefully that will take you to the right place!), you can also search by bone swirl. I also have a bone whale tail that might make it into a BJP piece.

KV said...

Beautiful work, Joan!


Kathy V in NM

heidibeads said...

I like the movement and texture you captured in this piece. I can imagine the depth of it too. Wonderful - love that swirl piece, too.