Sunday, October 12, 2008

Crafty Strikes Again

So, I may not have gotten a huge amount of beadwork done this week, but I have been busy, and sick, and (how much whining can I do?).


This is my Nov BJP base, the bead colors that were chosen are 2 shades of red and pearl white - I'm going for swirling wind, which we tend to have a lot of in these parts.


This is a project I'm starting for when I need a break from the doll - it's African turquoise, I'll put it on black with probably lots of silver. The grey pieces are actually chipboard, I got a couple packs of them from a scrapbook store.


Ok, ugly mug time! It's very hard to take a picture of yourself when there's plaster hardening on you. Yep, plaster! I'm trying to make a mold, so I can cast (probably in paper) an actual "bust" to display necklaces and collars on. How will I know what it's going to lay like if I don't have something that I can check it on - especially for length? And let potential costumers see as well? It needs to be lightweight, transportable and cheap! So for $5 (I may have also used a coupon) I put gauze with plaster on it on myself. The mold is actually pretty good - I need to seal it so I can cast on it. I did not put the plaster around my neck, so I could peel it off, and then used a can the right size to re-create a neck. I cut the back of the neck while still flexible and patched it together. The mold is very light weight once dry. So once the 3 pinatas for Halloween are done, I'll try making some mini-mes!

3 comments:

Gypsy said...

Oh, how fun!! I still have a mask and 'wings' made from my face and arms, from back in the 70s, done the same way, so can attest to their holding up. Yup- made of the same material! Please post a pic of the finished product...would love to see.
Enjoyed your family blog as well- the kids AND the kitties are cute..wish I lived closer, as I would have taken all 3 kittens. Sigh, my DH says I have enough cats, but, is there such a thing?
Enjoyed your blog,
Aryd'ell

Susan Elliott said...

That ivory swirl in the center of your November piece is awesome. What is it? It's absolutely beautiful.

Timaree said...

Would love to see what the mold looks like finished.